Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Hard Heroes on Voyager

I've just had the pleasure of contributing to a useful blog post, the brainchild of Kim Falconer, author and astrologer extraordinaire, on factors essential to the creation of strong, kick-arse type characters, .

Kim has written a few of these characters herself, as have most of the other contributors, who include K J Taylor, Tracey O’Hara, Stacia Kane, Jennifer Fallon, Mary Victoria, Duncan Lay and Nicole Murphy. I'm not sure what I'm doing in such august company, but I'm pleased to have contributed to such a well-thought-out and helpful article.

Being the Voyager blog, these are, of course, all Harper Collins authors, but if we cast the net wider you'll soon think of more. Marianne de Pierres's Parrish Plessis springs to mind, as do several characters from the pens of Joe Abercrombie and George R. R. Martin, another - and perhaps the most famous - of Voyager's authors.

The post has two parts. Part one, which went up on 20 December, is here and part two is here. In the intervening posts, you can check out Kim's delightful horoscopes and the trailer for the film of GRRM's marvellous A Game of Thrones.

Who is your favourite kick-arse character? Leave a comment and let us know.

3 comments:

  1. This is a wonderful summary an link, Satima. Thank you.

    And I just have to say how privileged I feel to be in a community of authors (Voyager and beyond!) with whom I can chat and discuss these most interesting topics. I think the Aussie spec fic scene is perhaps unique that way!

    Thanks again.

    Kim :)

    PS I cast my net pretty wide inviting authors to jump in but it's a crazy time of year! I may get more answers back and write a part III! (but I felt way too shy to ask Mr. Martin . . . I mean, all the filming and everything!) How cool does the 'behind the scenes' footage look?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cool enough:-) Dying to see it! And I'll look forward to you next post, whatever it's about!

    ReplyDelete
  3. In a nutshell...truth, goals and flaws. I like that, and good to read various authors' takes on the creation of those qualities. Thanks for the post and the link, Satima! :-)

    ReplyDelete